Son of the Wind Hanuman playing Wind Chimes in my room Varkala India
With…Hanuman Chalisa ~ in English
Having polished the mirror of my heart
with the dust of my Guru’s lotus feet,
I sing the pure fame of the best of the Raghus,
which bestows the four fruits of life.
Knowing this body to be devoid of intelligence,
I recall the Son of the Wind.
Grant me strength, wit, and wisdom,
and remove my sorrows and shortcomings.
1. Victory to Hanuman, ocean of wisdom and virtue,
Hail Monkey Lord, illuminator of the three worlds.
2. Ram’s emissary, abode of matchless power,
Anjani’s son, named “Son of the Wind.”
3. Great hero, mighty as a thunderbolt,
remover of evil thoughts and companion to the good.
4. Golden-hued and splendidly adorned,
with heavy earrings and curly locks.
5. In your hands shine mace and banner,
a sacred thread of munja grass adorns your shoulder.
6. You are Shiva’s son and Kesari’s joy,
your glory is revered throughout the world.
7. Supremely wise, virtuous, and clever,
you are ever intent on Ram’s work.
8. You delight in hearing of the Lord’s deeds,
Ram, Lakshman, and Sita dwell in your heart.
9. Assuming tiny form you appeared to Sita,
and in awesome guise you burned Lanka.
10. Taking dreadful form you slaughtered demons
and completed Lord Ram’s mission.
11. Bringing the magic herb, you revived Lakshman,
and Ram embraced you with delight.
12. Greatly did the Raghu Lord praise you –
“Brother, you’re as dear to me as Bharat!”
13. “May the thousand-mouthed serpent sing your fame!”
So saying, Shri’s Lord drew you to Himself.
14. Sanak and the sages, Brahma, gods, and great saints,
Narada, Sarasvati, and the king of serpents,
15. Yama, Kubera, and the guardians of the quadrants,
poets and scholars – none can express your glory.
16. You rendered great service to Sugriva,
presenting him to Ram, you gave him kingship.
17. Vibhishana heeded your counsel
and became Lord of Lanka, as all the world knows.
18. Though the sun is thousands of miles away,
you swallowed it, thinking it a sweet fruit.
19. Holding the Lord’s ring in your mouth
it’s no surprise you leapt the ocean.
20. Every arduous task in this world
becomes easy by your grace.
21. You are the guardian of Ram’s door,
none enters without your leave.
22. Taking refuge in you one finds all delight,
those you protect know no fear.
23. You alone can withstand your own splendor,
the three worlds tremble at your roar.
24. Ghosts and goblins cannot come near,
Great Hero, when your name is uttered.
25. All disease and pain is eradicated,
brave Hanuman, by constant repetition of your name.
26. Hanuman releases from affliction
those who remember him in thought, word, and deed.
27. Ram the renunciant reigns over all –
you carry out his every task.
28. One who brings any yearning to you
obtains the fruit of abundant life.
29. Your splendor fills the four ages,
Your glory is famed throughout the world.
30. You are the guardian of saints and sages,
the destroyer of demons, the darling of Ram
31. You grant the eight powers and nine treasures
by the boon you received from Mother Janaki.
32. You hold the elixir of Ram’s name
and remain eternally His servant.
33. Singing your praise, one finds Ram
and escapes the sorrows of countless lives.
34. At death, one goes to Ram’s own city
or is born on earth as God’s devotee.
35. Give no thought to any other deity –
worshipping Hanuman, one gains all delight.
36. All affliction ceases, all pain is removed,
by remembering the mighty hero, Hanuman.
37. Victory, victory, victory to Lord Hanuman!
Be merciful even as is the Divine Master.
38. Whoever recites this a hundred times
is released from bondage and gains bliss.
39. One who reads this Hanuman Chalisa
gains success – Gauri’s Lord bears witness.
40. Says Tulsidas, Hari’s constant servant,
“Lord, make your encampment in my heart.”
Son of the Wind,
Banisher of sorrow and embodiment of blessing,
Dwell in my heart,
King of Gods, together with Ram, Lakshman, and Sita
O M M M…B L I S S…O M M M…=)
Some Books you may enjoy for your spiritual journey…=)